Cinco de Mayo Salsa Fest San Jose returns May 4, 2024!
The population we served…
were experiencing homelessness
were senior citizens
were retired veterans
Get Involved with Meals Without Borders
During the COVID-19 crisis, in partnership with the City of San Jose and The County of Santa Clara, Opening Doors 2020 will continue to serve 52 weeks a year.
We are seeking volunteers during the shelter-in-place order for 1 hour of service to serve and prepare hot lunches to low-income populations and people experiencing homelessness.
Our mission is to reduce generational poverty in Santa Clara County. We do so by educating and connecting low-income populations and people experiencing homelessness to vital safety net services in Santa Clara County and the heart of downtown San Jose. Opening Doors 2020 is a California 501(c)(3) non-profit.
- During the COVID-19 crisis, established an innovative, first-of-its-kind in the nation, mobile feeding unit for those in need.
- Increased awareness of the at-risk family populations throughout Santa Clara County and Downtown San Jose.
- Refocused the way the City of San Jose and Santa Clara County address the St. James Park Corridor homeless meal services and volunteer park meal providers.
- Created a network of non-profit provider participation at social cause community forums and workshops.
During COVID-19, every two months we distributed…
items of warm clothing
and hot lunches to those in need
Hear From Our Volunteers
Community Education and Involvement Workshops and Social Cause Events.
COVID-19 emergency meal services for low-income seniors, families, and people experiencing homelessness.
Emergency rental and deposit assistance for low-income families, seniors, veterans, and people experiencing homelessness.
Veteran and Senior support services and/or referrals. Housing location services and/or referrals.
San Jose is in the heart of Silicon Valley, but as one travels through the city you’ll see that homelessness is a major crisis, along with the build up of trash and debris everywhere. In October 2019, Opening Doors 2020 launched an innovative, new effort to address blight in one neighborhood of the city and help individuals living outdoors gain a sense of purpose and build community where they live.
In October 2019, The PayPerBag Project, an Opening Doors 2020 program, began working with homeless residents to pay them “per” bag of trash they pick up, focusing on parts of the Downtown Hensley Neighborhood District. “We are working to transform communities, and maybe we can begin to change the narrative about homeless living in our community.” said Executive Director, David S. Hernandez.
Thanksgiving Eve Party 2023
Hundreds lined up in St. James Park to enjoy a hot meal and receive plenty of warm clothing for Thanksgiving. Special thanks to San Jose Mayor Matt Mahan and his team, ASM Ash Kalra, Councilmember David Cohen and many others for making the event a huge success.
Cinco de Mayo Salsa Fest San Jose 2023
Another great day of live music, dancing, excellent food, amazing arts and crafts, and massive burritos in downtown San Jose.
Proceeds from the event supported our mobile meal service which provides hot, nutritious lunches to low-income seniors, families, and people experiencing homelessness in San Jose.
Salsa Fest San Jose 2022
A great day of live music, dancing, excellent food, and amazing arts and crafts in downtown San Jose.
Proceeds from the event supported our new mobile shower program to offer our most vulnerable population much needed hygiene services.
Unhoused Columbus Park Resource Fair
Local non-profits and government agencies provided clothing, food, health services, employment assistance, mental health and drug counseling, housing resources and voter registration to the unhoused in the Columbus Park area.
Our Friends in the
Community & Government
- Gardner Medical
- Entrees Unlimited
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- United Way
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Front Door Communities
- Midtown Family Services
- Salvation Army
- Loaves & Fishes Family Kitchen
- HomeFirst Services of Santa Clara County
- People Assisting The Homeless (PATH)
- EAH Housing
- Recovery Café
- Martha’s Kitchen
- Peninsula Food Runners
- Peninsula Family Services
- Phoenix Data Center of Santa Clara County
- City of San Jose
- City of San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo
- San Jose Police Department
- Santa Clara County Sheriffs Department
- City of San Jose Councilmember David Cohen (D4)
- City of San Jose Councilmember Johnny Khamis (D1)
- City of San Jose Councilmember Raul Peralez (D3)
- Senator Dave Cortese
- Supervisor Otto Lee
- ESUHSD Board President Van Le
- Supervisor Joe Simitian
- Assemblymember Ash Kalra
- Assemblymember Kansen Chu
- Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren
- Congressman Ro Khanna
- City of San Jose Housing Department
- City of San Jose Parks and Recreation
- Santa Clara County HMIS
- Social Security Administration
- Santa Clara Valley Water District Richard Santos
- Santa Clara County Opioid Overdose Prevention Project
- Santa Clara County District Attorney
598 North 1st Street, Suite A
San Jose, CA 95112