Get involved with our
“MEALS WITHOUT BORDERS”.
We are seeking (1) hour of service from volunteers to help prep and serve lunch on weekdays or weekends to homeless and the low income population.
During the COVID 19 Crisis, in partnership with the City of San Jose, The County of Santa Clara, and Martha’s Kitchen our emergency meals program schedule will serve at three sites:
- Martha’s Kitchen located at 311 Willow Street, SJ CA 95110. every Monday and Friday from Noon-1pm.
- Parking Lot located at corner of 2nd and St James adjacent to St James Park every Wednesday from Noon-1pm, Saturday and Sunday from 11am-Noon
- Markham Plaza located at 2000 Monterey Road, SJ CA 95112 every Tuesday and Thursday from 1-2pm
“Great job!”Office of Congressman Ro Khanna (CA-17)
“Please let us know how we can help”Office of Assembly Member Ash Kalra 27th Assembly District
“Sign us up!”Comunidad Cristiana
“We would be happy to be listed in your resource listing.”Front Door Communities/Lifted Spirits
Our mission is to reduce generational poverty in Santa Clara County. We do so by educating and connecting low-income families, seniors, veterans, and the homeless to vital safety net services in Santa Clara County and in the heart of downtown San Jose. Opening Doors 2020 is a California 501c3 nonprofit.
San Jose is in the heart of Silicon Valley, but as one travels through the city you’ll see that homelessness is a major crisis, along with the build up of trash and debris everywhere. Opening Doors 2020 launched an innovative new effort to address blight in one neighborhood of the city, and it will help some of those living outdoors gain a sense of purpose and build community where they already live.
Beginning in October, The PayPerBag Project, a program of Opening Doors 2020 began working with homeless residents to pay them “per” bag of trash they pick up, focusing on parts of the Downtown Hensley Neighborhood District. “We are working to transform communities, and maybe we can begin to change the narrative about homeless living in our community.” said Executive Director, David S. Hernandez.
Opening Doors 2020 accepts donations of 30 gallon bags, gloves, or gift cards.
- Increased awareness of the downtown corridor at-risk family populations and throughout Santa Clara County
- Helped to refocus the way the City of San Jose and Santa Clara County now address the St James Park Corridor homeless meal services and volunteer park meal providers
- Established a new St James Park Alternate feeding site where those in need can eat in dignity and receive immediate safety net services and referrals.
- Created a network of nonprofit provider participation at social cause community forums and workshops
Some of Our Friends in Government
- City of San Jose
- City of San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo,
- Santa Clara County Sheriffs Dept,
- Councilmember Raul Peralez,
- Councilmember Johnny Khamis,
- Supervisor Dave Cortese,
- Supervisor Joe Simitian,
- Assemblymember Ash Kalra,
- Assemblymember Kansen Chu,
- Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, and
- Congressman Ro Khanna.
- City of San Jose Housing Department,
- City of San Jose Parks and Recreation,
- County of Santa Clara HMIS,
- Santa Clara Valley Water District Richard Santos, and many more.
and many more.
Some of Our Community Friends
- Alcoholics Anonymous,
- Bill Wilson Center,
- Catholic Charities,
- Front Door Communities,
- Marth’s Kitchen,
- Midtown Family Services,
- Salvation Arrmy,
- Social Security Administration,
- Gardner Medical,
- Grace Solutions,
- Mary Dowd,
- Downtown Streets Team,
- The Winterfaith Collaborative,
- Recovery Café,
- Peninsula Family Services,
- Project Hire/Route 22,
- Roots Community Services,
- Stand Up for Kids,
- Santa Clara County Opioid Overdose Prevention Program,
- Second Harvest
- Pheonix Data Center of SCC,
- Santa County Districts Attorneys Office, and many more.
Just Some of Our Work
- Emergency Rental/Deposit assistance for families, seniors, veterans, and homeless
- Housing location services & referrals
- Senior support services & referrals
- Emergency meal services
- Community workshops and Social Cause Events
- Veteran Support Referrals
Meals Without Borders
Meals without Borders is an emergency meal service network. The platform is designed to connect more low income households, homeless and volunteers to coordinated free lunch meal sites in high poverty impacted communities in the City of San Jose and the surrounding communities.